Writers' Roundup

August 28, 2009 · 0 comments

I was pretty annoyed at Amtrak this week for canceling my train home from New York City. But while I waited a few hours for the next available train to Albany, I wrote some quality pages. It amazes me that I can produce some of my best copy while kids scream behind me and a train station employee mops an unidentifiable liquid off the floor in the isle next to my seat. I worked so well in that noisy train station that I may start seeking out loud places to write during the week.

But you’re here for links! So I bring you:

• At Rachelle Gardner’s blog, guest blogger Margot Starbuck offers A Few Do’s & Don’ts of Writing Memoir. I particularly like her reminders about staying focused on a particular theme (which differs, she says, from your favorite experiences) and about coming across as “real,” so readers can identify with you.

Enjoy your weekend!

Elizabeth Spann Craig August 28, 2009 at 8:01 am

Thanks again for the great links!

I’m with you on writing with screaming kids around. :) Is there any other kind of writing environment?

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Jamie August 28, 2009 at 8:33 am

Sounds like adventures from a train terminal might have to be your next book. :)

Alexis Grant August 28, 2009 at 11:47 am

oh, i like it!

Karen Walker August 28, 2009 at 9:32 am

Great links, as always, Alexis. And thanks for your lovely comment on my blog today. Happy writing residency! We’ll miss you.
Karen

Dawn Herring August 28, 2009 at 10:05 am

As always, Alexis, you have a good page of info worth bookmarking! Thanks so much for leaving a comment and taking the time to read my latest post, What time is it?
Glad it encouraged you.

Have a refreshing day!
Dawn Herring
JournalWriter Freelance

Laurie PK August 28, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Thanks for including The Adventurous Writer in your round up, Alexis! Makes me happy :-)

Regarding writing in the midst of chaos: my favorite places to write are in the middle of any big hotel’s busy lobby, and in a bustling airport. Those places crackle with energy — and I love traveling, so I get a high from being so near all the possibilities.

I’m learning to write anywhere. Most recently, I’m writing on my laptop in my car (I live on an island, and spend too much time in my car, waiting for the boat, riding the boat, waiting to get off the boat). Balancing your laptop on your knees in a little car is quite the feat, but if you wanna write, you do it!

I’m glad you found you can write in a noisy train station, and I wish you the blessin of the magical ability to write anywhere, anytime!

Laurie

Patricia Stoltey August 29, 2009 at 1:17 am

Excellent links as usual. And when you have time, I’d love to see a list of some of the memoirs you’ve been reading. I need a reading list for the memoir writers in the organization I belong to.

Alexis Grant August 30, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Great idea, Patricia — I’ll post one sometime!