Even with baggage, you can still run

January 26, 2011 · 6 comments

I love running in Arlington, my new home in northern Virginia.

I love it because on super cold mornings, when I think I’m the only one who’s crazy enough to jog outside, when I’m cursing the fact that I can see my breath, a pack of Army guy will come running toward me, two by two. They’ll be dressed entirely in fatigues and carrying packs of gear.

It makes me smile every time. Because no matter how much it sucks to run when the temperature is below freezing, at least I’m not carrying a heavy backpack.

So if you’re feeling sorry for yourself, or sick and tired of your situation, or simply weary, take a moment to look around. You’ll likely notice someone who’s carrying far more baggage. And that’s guaranteed to help you pick up the pace.

We all run with our own baggage, but some of us carry more than others.

Photo credit: Flickr’s Lizard10979

Emma January 26, 2011 at 9:10 am

Love this! I lived in D.C. for a couple of years right out of college, and I remember having similar encounters while out running. I LOVED running in D.C., especially on the mall early in the morning.

Emily January 26, 2011 at 9:19 am

What the heck, you’ve been a poet the whole time and hid it from us??!!

Dang girl, you can write.
Emily recently posted…Under the weatherMy Profile

Jan January 26, 2011 at 9:46 am

Hi Alexis – I like this post – good reminder! I like your site. I’ll be by again…
Jan Morrison

andi January 26, 2011 at 10:05 am

Such an inspiring thought!
andi recently posted…Happy New Year!!!My Profile

Andrea James January 26, 2011 at 11:08 am

Amen!

And I love the image of the Army guys unwittingly spurring you on. Do you wave at them and wink hello?
Andrea James recently posted…Gracefully surrendering the things of youthMy Profile

Kathleen Pooler January 27, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Well said,Alexis and the picture shouts out your message. It also gives a well-deserved tribute to our military. Thanks for a great reminder of the importance of perseverance and gratitude. So glad you are enjoying DC!

Kathy Pooler