Because You’re My Best Asset, Crowdsourcing a New Blog Name

July 26, 2012 · 25 comments

UPDATE: If you submit an idea and I go with it, I will give you $100. Details at the bottom of this post.

For a long while, The Traveling Writer was the perfect name for this blog.

You came here knowing you’d find ideas, inspiration and tips on writing and traveling. Plus, I appreciated the hidden meaning behind “traveling,” that I’m traveling through life, figuring out my place, my style, my priorities — and so are each of you. We’re all traveling through life together.

That's YOU with the fabulous idea. Yup, YOU.

That’s YOU with the fabulous idea. Yup, YOU.

But things have changed. Even before becoming careers editor at U.S. News & World Report, I found myself writing more about how each of us can get where we want to be and tips for creating the lifestyle and workstyle we want.

And now that I’ve left that day job to pursue my own business — about to hit the one-year mark! — I’m thinking more than ever about the changing world of work, how to make a living doing something you enjoy, and the best ways to make our own luck so we can all reach our goals.

It’s time for my blog name and theme to reflect that. And since YOU know what to expect when you visit, and YOU know what inspires and motivates you to move toward your own career and life goals, I’d love to get your input on this branding transition. That’s really what this is about — branding — since content here will continue as you know it.

What should I call this community going forward?

Here’s one big thing I don’t like about The Traveling Writer (and this is a good tip for anyone who’s preparing to start or rename a blog): it sounds like it’s about one person. I don’t want the blog to be about me! I want it to be about YOU, this community and our ideas.

I’d love my new brand to be more of a concept, in the same vein as The Art of Non-Conformity, Live Your Legend, The Unlost, Zen Habits, Bootstrap My Life and The Juggle (to give a shout-out to a few career-and-life-related blog names I like!).

Ideally, new readers would know what this blog is about as soon as they land on the page.

Here are a few words, phrases and concepts we could incorporate into a new title/brand:

• Creating the life you want to live
  • Making a living doing what you love
  • Lifestyle design for go-getters
  • Scheming & Leaping
  • Finding your own workstyle
  • Make your own luck
  • Using the new world of work to your advantage
  • Figuring out how to get where you want to be
  • The Work Revolution (which is actually the name of a book that’s on my bookshelf, waiting to be read — and I wanted to give the author a holler, anyhow!)

Over the next few months, I’ll work with a branding specialist and website designer to help me nail down my new name and figure out how to represent that brand visually. But since YOU know me best, I’d love to get YOUR input first.

Which of these concepts resonate most with you? Are there any other ideas I should incorporate? What words come to mind when you think of this blog?

Finally, do you have any ideas for a new blog name?

No idea is too big or small. Brainstorming is all about throwing out ANY ideas you have, so I hope you’ll help this comment string take off :)

Thanks for your help!

UPDATE: If you submit an idea for my new blog name and I go with it, I will send you $100.

Originally I figured this would be a good way to invest my $100 from WDS. But I feel strongly about using that money to help someone else, not myself. So I’m throwing in my own $100 for the winner. This re-brand is THAT important to me. And besides, I like the idea of rewarding this community for brilliance and creativity!

(If two or more people suggest the same name, whoever comments first wins the cash.)

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures July 26, 2012 at 9:38 am

Oooh I can’t wait to see what name you go with!
Andi of My Beautiful Adventures recently posted…30 Years Of AndiMy Profile

Louis Burklow July 26, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Lexi, How about this one: Career Leap Chronicle (I like alliteration) with the tagline “Making the Job (and Life) You Never Knew You Wanted.”
Louis Burklow recently posted…For God, Country and HollywoodMy Profile

Alexis Grant July 26, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Good one, Louis — Thanks for chiming in!

Jim July 26, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Hmm… might need to put some more thought into this. CrowdSpring is another good source for such projects.

Metamorphosis
Become the change you desire.

Write of Passage
How to get where you want to be.
(A rite of passage is a ritual event that marks a person’s progress from one status to another.)

Empowering Change
Learn to love the life you live.
Jim recently posted…Are You in Your Happy Place?My Profile

Alexis Grant July 31, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Yes — Love crowdsourcing sites, so might need to turn to that. Thanks for these!

Miss Sassy July 27, 2012 at 5:26 am

- Leapfrog Your Life
– Redesign Your Life
– Work, Life Reset, Redesign
– Leapfrog From Ordinary

Just some ideas or a play on words to get it going.
Miss Sassy recently posted…Is Your Web Copy Boring? Some Advice From A Veteran CopywriterMy Profile

Alexis Grant July 31, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Like the redesign…

Miss Sassy July 27, 2012 at 5:30 am

Just had another idea – Leapfrog to Freedom.

As you can tell I have a thing with leapfrogging. :)

Txladywriter July 27, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Luv the mental brainstorming…. after playing with “Potential”, “Perspective” and “Growth”, this one keeps resonating for me:

QUANTUM POTENTIAL
or
UxU=QUANTUM.U (or You X You – QuantumYou)
or
QuantumYou

My brain is working on this… more to come.
TXLADYWRITER

Social Media Works
Making Your Work
Choose to Live, Work, Succeed
Social Media Mavens
Life Your Way

Alexis Grant July 31, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Thanks, Elise! These are great!

Alli Burness July 31, 2012 at 7:44 am

You can’t go past Make Your Own Luck, Alexis. This is your tag now – you use it often enough! Really sums up where your site is at.

Alexis Grant July 31, 2012 at 9:02 am

So funny — A few of us were talking about this last night. Might make the cut!

Mona Tippins August 1, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Making Your Dream a Reality

From the Goal to the Finish Line
or- From the Goal Post to the Finish Line

Finalize the Dream

Wake From the Dream and Live it

Dana Sitar August 5, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I agree “Make Your Own Luck” needs to be part of your brand — not sure how to convey everything you do into a name, though…

Right Where You Want to Be
Write Where You Want to Be (egh, that pun)
Your Career, Your Way
Your Dream, Your Way
No Luck Here: Workstyle design for go-getters
Journey, the New Career
Dana Sitar recently posted…The best way to help people understand what you do for a livingMy Profile

Lisa August 5, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Make Your Own Luck! I think I saw it listed twice up there. Do it!
Lisa recently posted…Vintage tool kit: ClothingMy Profile

alisha August 5, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I agree that Make Your Own Luck would be a great name! It’s your message.

Marti Konstant August 5, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Alexis, I am inspired by your challenge. I wrote a blog post recently called: How to create a minimum viable brand. The post deals with many of the issues you discussed :-) and really works well for those who are rebranding. http://www.konstantchange.com/how-to-create-a-minimum-viable-brand-in-3-easy-steps/

Best of luck to you with the naming of your blog. I will think about it a bit before I reply.

Laura Howard August 5, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Make Your Own Luck is kinda your thing…
But, here’s my go:

Transition to Freedom – from your sales page
Destination: Freedom
Laura Howard recently posted…Author Support with Julia HughesMy Profile

Michele August 5, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I agree with the others – Make Your Own Luck. The tag could be “Creating The Life You Love.”
Michele recently posted…Swingin’ Summer Saturdays and Sundays – “Shake Your Smoothie” (Part 2)My Profile

Deborah Hymes August 5, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Hi Lexi! How about: Creating the Write Life

It says career/life intersection and that the career is writing.

It encompasses all the content that you currently produce and leave plenty of room under the umbrella for the blog’s direction to evolve along with your own life interests.

It’s a present/tense active verb and uses a writerly play on words.

And “creatingthewritelife.com” is available. ;)
Deborah Hymes recently posted…Once Upon a Time, The Princess Said "No"My Profile

ostrichlady August 5, 2012 at 7:18 pm

When I try to find a new name for a business, I go to Godaddy and type in ideas. If I can get the domain name then I can proceed.

The domains I found were:
outsideofyourbox.com
life-leaps.com
A quote = “Life leaps like a geyser for those who drill through the rock of inertia.” Carrel, Alexis
openingyourlife.com

That’s all for now.

Avi August 6, 2012 at 1:00 am

What a great moment, birthing the New Face of your blog. Congratulations on this milestone.

I hope you’ll choose the name after August 9 2012. Please excuse a digression of astrology lingo — Mercury appears retrograde now (a 3-week cycle usually) and goes direct August 9. A new name would be more likely to “stick” (and a web launch would tend to be more successful) after the Mercury retrograde cycle is complete.

Creative Life Sharing is a name that comes to mind, that you might enjoy.

All the best.
Cynthavi

Rekaya Gibson August 8, 2012 at 9:01 am

Name idea for your blog: “Things To Do”
Rekaya Gibson recently posted…Author Kay Gibbie: It’s Time to VoteMy Profile

Ginny Gielow August 8, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I suggest your blog should be named: From Here To There.
It speaks of growth and adventure and moving toward new horizons