African inspiration

May 27, 2009 · 0 comments

My home office is full of pieces of art from Africa: a beaded wire bowl made in South Africa, a huge raffia sculpture of a baobab tree from Madagascar, a smooth wooden bowl created in Cameroon, and a beautiful poster of homemade Malagasy paper pressed with flowers.

But my favorite is a wall-sized colorful batik I picked up in Mali. Hanging just above my desk, it’s the perfect inspiration for writing about Africa.

My writing space: Centered by an African batik.

My writing space: Centered by an African batik.

What’s your writing inspiration?

Marvin D Wilson May 27, 2009 at 8:20 am

Awesome Batik. I’ve never had the chance yet to travel Africa, but I do have some artwork from the continent brought home as a gift from friends who have.

I don’t really have any one thing that I use as writing inspiration, though.

The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog

Jane Kennedy Sutton May 27, 2009 at 8:21 am

Looks like a great batik. I have a collage of photos on the wall above my desk – mostly of my grandson. They always make me smile when I look up.

Jane Kennedy Sutton

Karen Walker May 27, 2009 at 9:05 am

Awesome art, Alexis. Africa is high on our list of places to visit. I guess I am inspired by good writing and feelings. Visual stimulation isn’t oneof my cues to write.

Karen

Galen Kindley May 27, 2009 at 9:15 am

Hi, Alexis, I tried to comment on the Word Count post, but, couldn’t get to a comment box…so, I’ll do both here.

Agree with you and Karen about how to proceed, also agree with your word count total assessment. If it should read like fiction, then, it probably needs the characteristics of fiction. To include a grab ‘em opening few pages, other ‘rules” would apply as well.

Love your batik! How did I know your work area would be so neat and organized????

Best Regards, Galen

Alexis Grant May 27, 2009 at 11:58 am

Thanks, Galen! That word count post was actually supposed to go up tomorrow… Somehow I posted it early, so I deleted it and it should go up Thursday!

Patricia Stoltey May 27, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Beautiful batik, Alexis. And I do envy your tidy workplace.

My writing inspiration comes from inside — those characters who won’t leave me alone until I put their stories down on paper. Bless them!

At my blog, I’ve answered some questions and comments from the early birds, so check back if you have time.

Patricia

Karen Brees May 27, 2009 at 2:57 pm

The view from my sewing room/office window. I look out on the aspens and the pasture. The river runs through this spot and the wildlife and the peace inspire me.

drewfbush May 27, 2009 at 4:53 pm

This is funny, as Gabrielle has mutliple rooms filled with her African fabrics, arts, sculptures and such to find inspiration. For me, though, I think it’s just the open window and being able to see the light of day outside and life going on. Of course, I also have my mom’s watercolor paintings on my desk.

Elizabeth Spann Craig May 27, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Like Karen, I like looking out at the view as an inspiration, too.

My sister in law lives in Nairobi and loves it there. We always enjoy the beautful crafted work she brings back to the States with her.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

K. A. Laity May 27, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Wonderful and inspiring. I love it!

Jina Bacarr May 28, 2009 at 12:04 am

Beautiful artwork! My inspiration for a new project comes from the masks and photos of masks I took on a trip to Venice.

Jina

The Berlin Sex Diary of Lady Eve Marlowe

Destineers May 28, 2009 at 12:17 am

The hanging is gorgeous – very inspirational!

Nancy, from Just a Thought…

Cat Connor May 29, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Can’t think of anything particularly inspirational near my desk – except maybe the voodoo doll of my MIL. :-)