Creating More Moments That Matter

May 30, 2012 · 7 comments

Ever have a weekend or day or hour or even just a MOMENT when you say to yourself something like:

Wow, this is what REALLY matters. This is what life is ABOUT.

That’s how I felt after hiking in Shenandoah National Park this weekend (and leaving my computer behind):

Shenandoah National Park

Shenandoah National Park (Virginia)

Now I’m back to the grind — and most of you probably are returning to work after the long weekend, too.

But rather than simply thinking about how fabulous this past weekend was, about how much I enjoyed getting out into nature and away from the chaos of everyday life, I’m trying to turn that nostalgia into something more meaningful. I’m trying to turn it into action.

How can I have MORE of those moments, those hours, those days going forward? What can I do to propel my life even more in the direction I want it to go? How can I make my life about moments that matter?

How can YOU?

TC Avey May 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm

When my father passed away I realized how focused I had been on my career and how it had become my main priority. Losing my father helped me re-evaluate my priories and I am so thankful. However, I know I still tend to get too busy and miss some of the small moments in life.
Using a journal helps me capture those memories.

Mindy May 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I love this. I am right there with you! I recently got to spend a working vacation at my parents’ house and my dad has had non-stop tea parties with my almost two-year-old daughter. When I see them together I know exactly why I became a freelancer and why I want to chart my own course. If I were in an office I wouldn’t be able to sneak away for nearly as much time with them.

Rene Karsholt May 31, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I could not agree with you more and as TC Avey said a journal is good. Lately I have been using a service called Moredays.com (a calander/journal) and evernote to try to capture all those moments so they stay with me and remind me that I want more of them.

Alexis Grant June 1, 2012 at 11:34 am

Love hearing from all of you! These are some great thoughts… Glad the post resonated with you.

Bonnee June 4, 2012 at 6:20 am

Those moments are truly amazing :heart: I make as many of them as I can by seizing opportunities to experience the world in all of it’s different places, in all it’s beauty and it’s power, whether it be in the city or in nature. Not only do I seize those opportunities; I also try to create them.

Shanna Schultz June 4, 2012 at 7:05 pm

The Shenandoah Valley is such a beautiful area. Spending time in nature if crucial for my sanity and longterm well being (and to having more of these incredible moments) and unfortunately, I don’t do enough of it. Thanks for the great reminder about what is really important.