Our Twitter Love Story Continues… (Plus a Ridiculously Adorable Photo)

November 1, 2015 · 17 comments

Since our son was born eight weeks ago, I’ve tried to write a coherent blog post at least half a dozen times.

But as any parent will tell you, mothering a newborn is exhausting. Between around-the-clock breastfeeding, evening fussiness and a lot less sleep than I need, I’m lacking the physical and mental capacity to write a meaningful post.

Plus, I like my blog posts to have tangible takeaways, to highlight lessons even in the midst of chaos… and I’m not quite there yet. I’m still sorting through all sorts of questions:

How will I balance taking care of this little guy with my work?

Where does this new title of Mother fit in with my self-identity?

What will the next few years of my life look like?

How will I integrate this new life intoย my old one?

Why is the baby crying and when did we last feed him and did I pump enough for tonight’s feed and where’s the binkie he likes and do you think he’s dressed in enough layers and where is that Amazon order of diapers and when might I have time to feed and bathe MYSELF?

And OMG did you SEE that ADORABLE smile?!

In these sleep-deprived, zombie-like days, the practical questions have been our focus, ones that help us get through this second, this minute, this hour. But my head is also swimming with lots of bigger questions about how all of these pieces will fit together going forward.

And so rather than try to make sense of it all, I’ll leave you with one of those pictures that says 1,000 words, an image that makes all the 3 a.m. feedings worth it…

Our Twitter baby =)

Our Twitter baby

Our Twitter baby =)

Will Irish November 2, 2015 at 2:09 am

“Twitter baby” ha! Love it. Hashtag…MadRespect ๐Ÿ˜‰ Congrats Lexi! Our 3rd is almost 11 weeks and my awesome wife is a warrior. What an awesome pic. Looks like a “Power Twitter Baby” to me.

PS btw, Amazon diapers will ALWAYS arrive in the day after you give in and go buy a random box. I’m convinced that rather than deliver things this is in fact what Amazon drones are actually tracking.

Alexis Grant November 2, 2015 at 10:14 am

Wow, will — Congrats to you, too! Your 3rd is just a few weeks older than our guy!

Angela Alcorn November 2, 2015 at 8:05 am

Congrats! Your baby is gorgeous.

Personally, I started coming out of the haze of the fist baby and went straight into the second. They’re now four and two and I’m starting to get my brain back into gear properly. It takes a lot out of you! Good luck. ๐Ÿ™‚
Angela Alcorn recently posted…What Is The Exact Opposite Of Working From Home?My Profile

Alexis Grant November 2, 2015 at 10:14 am

Ha — Thanks, Angela!

Charlotte Edwards November 2, 2015 at 8:39 am

Congratulations! He’s a cutie! Kids are a lot of work but the best kind. ๐Ÿ™‚

Alexis Grant November 2, 2015 at 10:15 am

Thanks, Charlotte! Hope you’re well!

Adeyemi Adetilewa November 2, 2015 at 6:26 pm

What a cute and adorable baby!

I am actually scared of going into marriage because of all these troubles. I can’t imagine not having all the pleasures and privacy I need.

I guess that letting go of all my pleasures for a baby is part of growing up. Thank you Alexis for giving me the courage.

If you can cope, definitely I can too. I will you all the best Alex.

Pat November 3, 2015 at 4:19 pm

The precious photo is definitely worth all the 3 am feedings, Alexis. Love and blessings to your little one, you and your family.
Pat recently posted…GhostsMy Profile

Minerva November 3, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Alexis, I’ve been following your blog for a long time. Although I write and write and write, still waiting to publish. Just a note to bless your angel… May he bring grace into your lives.

Dena November 4, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Congratulations. Babies are the best.
Dena recently posted…Apple & Carrot TeacakeMy Profile

Peter November 12, 2015 at 8:39 am

Congratulations Alexis. The baby does change your whole schedule as to take care of his meals, sleeps and everything else, but he is a blessing! The peace on his face shows you must be doing a great job!

Lindsey November 20, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Lexi, great post and ADORABLE baby! I’m so happy for you!

Hugs,
Lindsey

Tehila November 21, 2015 at 12:19 am

Alexis, I am so excited for you! Being on my 5th baby now (who is almost 1 year old already), I can so much identify with you. During those first weeks and months, I always try to get one big thing done, and 2 small things… The big thing may be a load of laundry (believe it or not) and the small things may be paying a bill and showering ๐Ÿ™‚

You’re a great mama, that’s clear to see, and I’m here for you if you need any advice or encouragement on the motherhood side…

With love,
Tehila
Tehila recently posted…The Right Response To The Paris Terror AttacksMy Profile

Nathalie Bagadey November 21, 2015 at 12:32 am

Sooooo cute !!!! <3
I find the idea of the Twitter baby charming, as a reminder of your love story. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Well, "enjoy" these crazy days, you tend to regret them as kids grow older and you don't get as many cuddles a day. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Nathalie Bagadey recently posted…Mini séminaire sur l’autoéditionMy Profile

Kim November 21, 2015 at 7:58 am

Congratulations! I relate, my hubby and I just had our daughter 8 weeks ago. I’m just now feeling ready to sit down and work again. Luckily I feel way more creative and inspired than I did while pregnant. Best to the 3 of you!
Kim recently posted…MotherhoodMy Profile

Rose November 22, 2015 at 12:19 am

Wow! Congratulations on your beautiful baby! I am sure you will figure things out darling. Have a wonderful holiday.
Rose recently posted…How to Automate Social Media Posts Using PostcronMy Profile

Jamie May 27, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Super cute baby. I run a company and balancing Boss time with Daddy time is crazy hard. Just make sure the little one comes first ๐Ÿ™‚