We’re Getting Hitched! How I Met My (Almost) Husband on Twitter

August 30, 2014 · 30 comments

It’s a big week: I’m getting married!

While I’ve shared a number of love stories on this blog in recent years, including how proud I am of my soon-to-be husband, I’ve never publicly revealed the story of how we met. In fact, the only place I’ve shared this story — aside from with family and friends — is through my Twitter course.

I know what you’re thinking: why on earth would I include anything about my boyfriend in my Twitter course?

For one simple reason: we met on Twitter.

Yup, it’s true. Now you really understand why I’m such a Twitter evangelist: in addition to getting a job offer, speaking opps and clients through Twitter, I met my almost-husband through the social network, too.

Love and Twitter

Twitter love on our mantle.

How the heck did you fall in love via Twitter?

So here’s the story.

I write often about how Twitter is my number one online networking tool. I rank it above even LinkedIn, which is branded as the best social network for professional development.

But despite my love for Twitter, I never planned nor expected to meet my husband there. Some things you just can’t plan.

Twitter relationships always start online, of course, but the best ones often move offline. For people who don’t understand social networking, this is a difficult idea to grasp. Isn’t it sketchy to meet in person with someone you know online? they ask.

In the early days of the Internet, this might have been true. But now it’s just the opposite: some of my best relationships start online.

Here’s how it works. I notice someone who looks interesting on Twitter. Over time, I follow her blog, begin interacting with her and see we have things in common, maybe realize she’s also in the Washington, D.C. area, and eventually ask her for coffee or lunch. Or another entrepreneur discovers me on Twitter, which leads him to my newsletter. He requests a Google Hangout so we can get to know each other, we hit it off, and the next time we’re both at the same conference, we meet up for an in-person hug.

See? Not as sketchy as you thought, right?

This is SUCH a great way to broaden your network of both professional contacts and friends. I’ve developed relationships with many fascinating people this way “” I don’t think I’ve hit a dud yet. And I can tell you WHY it works: because you learn so much about the person before you meet them that you only end up lunching with people who are truly interesting and worth your while. It’s an informal screening process, but it’s highly effective. (This, by the way, is how I met one of my closest girlfriends about four years ago, when she noticed my Twitter feed, then read my blog, then asked me for drinks. Girlfriend match made in heaven!)

OK… So how’d you meet your husband?

Right. Back to my almost-husband.

One night while I was feeling both frustrated (single at 30) and silly, I sent out this tweet:

To see this image, enable images at the top of your email.

Now, this was somewhat out of character for me. I do like to let my personality show on Twitter, but I also try to keep both feet planted firmly on the professional side. Except in moments of weakness like this one “” a moment of weakness I’m so glad I had.

Two guys responded to that tweet. One lived somewhere in middle America and had little in common with me. (Good on him for trying.)

The other was @benlcollins.

He sent me a direct message saying he’d just moved to D.C., was looking to meet some new people and could grow stubble upon request. Sense of humor! Score!

(He later divulged that he’d spent a lot of time crafting that direct message, and almost didn’t press send. Thankfully, he did.)

I know what you’re thinking “” or what you should be thinking if you use Twitter strategically “” “He sent you a DM! So you must have been following him!”

I was. But I didn’t recognize him at all! I could see why I would’ve followed him back if he’d followed me: it was obvious from his Twitter bio that he was adventurous and outdoorsy, and he’d taken a few long trips that were similar to my solo Africa trip. He certainly was interesting enough to follow back. (For the record, I did not know he was good-looking, since his avatar is a far-away shot of him mountain-climbing.)

So, after DMing a bit, we met for lunch, the day after my 31st birthday. The beautiful part about this was I felt no anxiety over the lunch, knowing the worst that could happen was I’d make an interesting, in-person friend. Twitter had taken the pressure off.

The lunch date went smoothly, and so did a lot of dates after that. This spring, during our first hike of the season, @benlcollins asked me to marry him:

Will you marry me?

Our happy place.

Why I’m the luckiest gal around

Remember way back in 2010, when I blogged about feeling lost?

With @benlcollins, I don’t feel lost anymore.

As much as I love him, I sort of hate admitting this, because I don’t want to believe you need a spouse to feel like your life’s complete. I’m fiercely independent, and after being single for years when most of my girlfriends were already married, I still identify with the single girl mentality — not the pathetic, I-can’t-live-alone mentality, but the I-can-do-it-all-on-my-own one. In fact, this is the internal struggle I detail in my not-yet-published travel memoir, the tug of war over being self-reliant and learning to lean on others.

But the truth is, life is sweeter with @benlcollins. It’s easier. More fun. More exciting. More meaningful.

I remember a few years ago, when I lamented to a girlfriend about feeling brokenhearted over a guy. She told me her husband had never made her cry because of pain, betrayal, insecurity or fear.

“Never?” I asked, incredulously.

“Never,” she responded. “Someday you will find someone who never makes you cry, too.”

I didn’t believe it at the time, and I almost still can’t believe it. Because not only has my almost-husband never made me cry, he goes out of his way to make me happy. He is truly one of the most genuine and generous people I know, so much so that sometimes I feel I don’t deserve him. We have a shared vision for our life together — lots of traveling and exploring and living outside the box — and when you wait until your 30s to meet your life partner, you don’t take that for granted.

So yeah. I feel very, very lucky.

I know, I know, we make our own luck!

But before you say so, let me assure you this was a true case of Twitter serendipity, the kind of luck we don’t have control over. @Benlcollins isn’t nearly as into Twitter as I am, so just the fact that he happened to look at his Twitter feed when I sent that out-of-character tweet was lucky.

But. There’s also a make-your-own-luck lesson here: if you build a strong network, that network will come through for you when you need it. (Click to tweet this.)

Why only YOU can build a network for you

After @benlcollins and I started dating, another friend joked that he’d like me to find him a girlfriend on Twitter.

I wanted to help him “” I really did. But here’s the thing: my network won’t work as well for him as it did (and does) for me.

The reason it worked for me is I’d built up a network of people who shared my interests: travel, writing, adventure, entrepreneurship and more.

@Benlcollins and I had probably followed each other because we both like adventure and outdoor activities. In fact, that happens to be one of the first qualities I’ve long looked for in a partner, someone who loves to spend time outdoors.

This friend who wanted me to find him a girlfriend likes cooking and comic books. Think my network will work well for him? Maybe. But probably not.

This is why building your own Twitter network is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Build it with your professional interests in mind, but also engage on a personal level, so you’ll end up with a network of friends and supporters, too.

If you’re really lucky, you might even find someone to love.

Twitter wedding

Heart.

Update: People called this the Ultimate Meet-Cute.

Financial Samurai August 30, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Wow, amazing! Just goes to show you never know unless you try.

Congrats!

Sam
Financial Samurai recently posted…The Secret To Perfect Happiness Revealed! Make Over $500,000 A YearMy Profile

Lisa August 30, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Such a sweet story! Thanks for sharing this little slice of your personal life. And best best wishes for a joyful, off-the-grid wedding celebration!!

Alison Johansen August 30, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Lexi,
I love your story on so many levels. Thanks for sharing with and inspiring us, as always. Congratulations to you both!

Leslie August 30, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Congratulations!! Wishing you many years of happiness and outdoorsy adventures together. This is beautiful and so inspiring. I’ve met lots of people on Twitter too, and they have enriched my life in many ways. (Will someone be live-tweeting the wedding? I’m not sure how I feel about tweets from the altar… but considering the circumstances, you never know! 🙂 )
Leslie recently posted…Greetings from San Francisco! An update.My Profile

Ali August 30, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I’m a true believer in how great twitter can be. I met my husband 4 years ago through twitter when I needed help switching my blog from a free site to self hosted. He was living in Germany and I was in Atlanta. We ended up getting to know each other through email and Skype for 4 months before we finally met in person in Prague. We got married 10 months after those first tweets, I moved to Germany to be with him, and I’m so happy with him. Congrats again, so happy for you!
Ali recently posted…Traveling with Day TripsMy Profile

Dahlia August 30, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Firstly, congratulations Alexis! I’m really happy for you :). You’re absolutely right about building a network of like-minded people. I blog funny stories about health/illness and sometimes I feel like my tweets aren’t applicable to 98% of my followers, which is why they never get retweeted. How do you get genuine followers who are actually interested in what you have to offer?
Dahlia recently posted…Three easy ways to treat chronic insomniaMy Profile

Victoria Virgo August 31, 2014 at 6:28 am

Congratulations – what a sweet story and so 21st Century. Love it 🙂
Victoria Virgo recently posted…Inspired by 3 Bloggers & a RoseMy Profile

Maritza Diaz August 31, 2014 at 8:37 am

My hope is that this happens to me! What a great story. Wish you both lots of love and laughter!

Jessica Lawlor August 31, 2014 at 9:49 am

I’m swooning!!!! I love this story so much I can’t even handle it! I’m so happy you sent that out-of-character tweet one night. This story also gives me so much hope for myself and finding the one eventually. I love that you recognize your independence, but also recognize that life is just better with Ben.

All the happiness and well-wishes for you two on your wedding week and future together!

xoxox
Jessica Lawlor recently posted…100 Lessons From 100 Yoga ClassesMy Profile

Amy August 31, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Seriously?! This is just the sweetest, most hopeful thing I’ve read in a long time. Wishing you all the best on your upcoming marriage!

Andrea Martins August 31, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Congratulations Alexis and Ben!

Shae September 2, 2014 at 8:42 am

Congrats Alexis. I’m so happy for you. I note the tweet was sent on my birthday too ;). x
Shae recently posted…Is Blogging Dead? No it’s NOT. How My Blog Posts Still Send Me Loads Of Traffic After 3 YearsMy Profile

Caroline September 2, 2014 at 10:16 am

Love this! Congratulations, Alexis!
Caroline recently posted…Best of August + Intentions for SeptemberMy Profile

Sarah Viren September 2, 2014 at 10:36 am

Alexis, that’s a fabulous story. I’m so happy for you. Good luck this week.
Sarah Viren recently posted…SOS!My Profile

Kathy Westra September 2, 2014 at 10:57 am

Lovely, heartwarming post, Lexi. All the best to you for a joyful wedding and many happy, outdoorsy joys in the years to come.
Kathy Westra recently posted…Great Products, Green FootprintMy Profile

Cait September 2, 2014 at 11:55 am

What an inspiring and wonderful story! Thanks so much for sharing and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
Cait recently posted…Links I LoveMy Profile

Ainka September 2, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Wow awesome story of how you met your soon-to-be hubby and the power of social networks. I too have a thing for Twitter over the other social platforms so I totally get it. Thanks for sharing. This is the best thing I’ve read all day.

Congrats again,
Ainka

Janeile September 2, 2014 at 1:26 pm

As a single 35 year old going on 36 all I have to say is “BLECH!!!” LOL. Just kidding. I’m happy for you. I totally understand that frustrated weakness you describe – but it usually gets me in trouble. LOL. I love the part about stubble – what girl doesn’t have a soft spot for stubble? I’ve thought about doing a post like that on Facebook, but usually chicken out for the fear of appearing “desperate”. Now you have me rethinking that option. But how to do it without writing a manifesto? LOL. Kudos for landing the right guy with just 160 characters! Congratulations! 🙂

Shannon Young September 2, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I love this story! Congratulations and have a wonderful wedding :).
Shannon Young recently posted…How Does One Dress to Buy Dragonfruit? True Stories of Expat Women in AsiaMy Profile

Matt September 2, 2014 at 7:11 pm

What a great story… Congratulations on getting married! I also think Twitter is the best social media platform to leverage, and this definitely solidified that thought further!

Cat@BudgetBlonde September 2, 2014 at 9:12 pm

I am in love with this story! Hubs and I met on Facebook so I can totally relate!

Anne September 3, 2014 at 12:04 am

I am usually too lazy to add my comments to the multitudes, but your story today is so heartwarming that I just had to add my congratulations. The pandas are all singing a happy song and doing the panda dance whilst swilling boot inis and scarfing down cupcakes in your honor.
Huzzah!
BTW, I am having a lot of fun on Twitter as well, connecting with other artists, writers and panda fanatics.
Huzzah indeed!
Anne recently posted…Pandas: Masters of the Pregnant PawsMy Profile

Wanda St.Hilaire September 3, 2014 at 12:16 am

Congratulations @benlcollins + @alexisgrant … but single at 30 is a big deal? Wow. You’ve no idea!

Therese September 3, 2014 at 1:12 am

I love this so much, Alexis. Thanks for sharing the story… and congrats! <3

Laurie Marshall September 3, 2014 at 2:08 pm

GET OUT!!! This is the sweetest story ever. 🙂 I met my hubs on Yahoo Personals (We were so perfect they had to dismantle the site for fear of never being able to live up to our standard ;)) I think the fact that we chatted online for over a month before we met made it SO much easier. It’s like we crammed a year’s worth of dates and bad movies into that time and knew each other inside and out by the time we kissed for the first time.

Congrats, Alexis – I look forward to hearing about the wedding!
Laurie Marshall recently posted…Tomatoes & BluegrassMy Profile

Melanie Powers September 9, 2014 at 11:02 am

I got a little teary-eyed reading this because I too LOVE Twitter and I LOVE my husband and feel very similar to you. I didn’t fall in love with him until I was a fiercely independent 34-year-old, and he is the sweetest, most caring person I know. And no, he never makes me cry (except in joy). Best wishes to you and Ben!

June September 9, 2014 at 2:18 pm

You sound so very happy. And, I am very happy for you!

Caitlyn September 10, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Ohhhhhhhh I just love this. So much. Thank you for sharing! All the best to you two.
Caitlyn recently posted…Forgot About DreMy Profile

Carole Mertz September 10, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I wish you TONS of blessings, Alexis, of both the outdoor and the indoor type. (smile)