Writers' Roundup

July 31, 2009 · 0 comments

I haven’t given my book enough attention this week. In between struggling with Chapter One, I’ve been working on a few freelance pieces since, well, they pay the bills and right now the book doesn’t.

I’ve got this great travel piece about Madagascar’s parks, a how-to-go-there-yourself article I began writing months ago and am finally getting around to selling. Only thing is, Madagascar’s had a political uprising since I was there before Christmas. I doubt the country is terribly unsafe, but I do believe it’s going to be difficult now to sell this piece to a magazine. Readers might be wary of visiting a country that just suffered a coup.

Anyway, I’ve been distracted this week with feeding my bank account, but I’ve still got a few links for you:

• On her blog, Get Known Before the Book Deal (which also is the name of her book), Christina Katz explains why knowing how to write articles is important for authors.

I’ll be out of town this weekend for a family reunion. See you Monday!

Carolyn Yalin July 31, 2009 at 10:28 am

As always – great links.
I just read Christina’s book and it has some great points in it.
Incidentally, I know it’s a classic, but have you read “Writing Down the Bones”, by Natalie Goldberg?

Alexis Grant August 2, 2009 at 5:38 pm

I haven’t — But it’s on my to-read list!

Jane Kennedy Sutton July 31, 2009 at 11:15 am

Do you still have any contacts in Madagastcar? If so, maybe you could add an update from him or her as a sidebar or something to keep the article current. Enjoyed the links.

Alexis Grant August 2, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Good suggestion — I’m also tinkering with the story, considering turning it into a story about Madagascar even if it’s not a visit-the-place-on-your-own story.

Jennifer July 31, 2009 at 11:25 am

Thanks for the links. Especially the one on writing articles. It’s something I’m beginning to concentrate on, and, quite frankly, it’s got me a little intimidated. Just because I’m so wordy! But my blogs have been good practice. And thank you for pointing the way to The Happiness Project. Lord knows I’ve needed that one this week!

Happy Friday,
Jen

Galen Kindley July 31, 2009 at 11:30 am

Have fun, this weekend, Alexis. Take your running gear.

Best Regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog</a

Elizabeth Spann Craig July 31, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Thanks, Alexis!

Have fun with the reunion….

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Enid Wilson August 1, 2009 at 9:24 am

The tips from the Happiness Project are great. I love to play tennis and whenever I play, I can turn all bad thoughts around and feel happy afterwards.

Bargain with the Devil