News flash: I’m moving to DC!

October 5, 2010 · 24 comments

Something exciting happened while I was at Hambidge: I got a job!

And it’s in D.C. That means I’m moving to the District! Really soon. As in, this weekend.

Starting next week, I’ll be working for U.S. News & World Report, covering careers and job search. The position is a super fit for my skills; it includes reporting, blogging, editing and social media. And what hotter topic is there right now than the job market? I’m psyched!

Know what helped me get the job? A blog post I wrote on using social media for your job hunt. Yet another reason why anyone who wants to be someone should have a blog. For job-seekers, a blog is a great way to showcase your skills.

My new boss also noticed a video I posted here a few months ago of me talking to you all, because my position will include some on-camera responsibilities. You judged me on that? I wanted to say. But it just goes to show that we should never post anything that’s less than quality, because people are, indeed, judging us on our blogs.

What does this mean for The Traveling Writer and Socialexis? I’ll try my best to continue posting here regularly. And while I’m giving up a few social media clients, I’ll still be ghost-tweeting and blog coaching and consulting on the side, largely because I enjoy it.

As for my book, luckily I’m at the point where the bulk of the work is complete, since I finished revising my manuscript last week. I’ll surely face more revisions along the way, but I’ll have to do them in the evenings and on weekends. Which will put me in the same boat as most of the writers on this planet, right?

DC, here I come!

Coming Thursday: 13 tips for job-hunters, from someone who’s been there

Chryselle October 5, 2010 at 7:08 am

Congratulations, Alexis! And good luck. Looking forward to updates on this exciting new development. Go for it!

Andrea James October 5, 2010 at 8:42 am

I checked out the US News careers page and — it rocks! I’m definitely going to have to tune in more often! :)

And congrats, US News, on hiring such a spectacular reporter!
Andrea James recently posted…Vegetables to meat ratioMy Profile

Alexis Grant October 5, 2010 at 9:17 am

Thanks, AJ — They do a good job! And an even better job starting Monday :)

Andi October 5, 2010 at 9:19 am

OMG, congrats!!!!!!!! How exciting. I LOVE DC!
Andi recently posted…Europe- Day 3 Part 1My Profile

Gargi October 5, 2010 at 9:24 am

Congratulations, Alexis! All the best for your move and your new job!
Gargi recently posted…You Wrote How MuchMy Profile

Jen - Devourer of Books October 5, 2010 at 9:34 am

Congratulations! That is fantastic news!
Jen – Devourer of Books recently posted…What’s In A Blog – Guest Post by Libby Hellmann- Author and Founder of “The Outfit”My Profile

Doug Mack October 5, 2010 at 10:04 am

That’s excellent–both the job, of course, and finishing the manuscript revisions! Congrats!

Lanham True October 5, 2010 at 10:12 am

You’ve worked really hard with this blog, etc. & certainly deserve this success. Congratulations!

Alexis Grant October 5, 2010 at 10:17 am

Thanks, everybody!

karen walker October 5, 2010 at 10:54 am

That is such exciting news Alexis. Congratulations. Now I’ll have to check out that magazine, which is not one I’ve read in the past. Can’t wait to see what you’ll do.
Karen
karen walker recently posted…Telling the truth Tuesday – friendshipMy Profile

Hope Clark October 5, 2010 at 11:32 am

Now that’s what I call being ready when opportunity knocks. Very cool. I’m happy for you.

Hope Clark
FundsforWriters.com

Marlene Kennedy October 5, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Congrats from a fellow Albanian who has been watching your journey.
Marlene Kennedy recently posted…In the nick of time- Weekend readingMy Profile

Alexis Grant October 5, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I love when lurkers leave comments! Thanks for following along :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig October 5, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Congratulations! That sounds like an awesome job. :)

So Very Vienna October 5, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Congratulations, Lexi. What a confirmation of all your talents and hard work. I’m so glad you’ll be close by, and look forward to the next phase of your journey.
So Very Vienna recently posted…Dreaming of my Dancing DaughterMy Profile

Jessica Lawlor October 5, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Congrats darling! I can’t wait to read your articles!

I sincerely hope you’ll still keep doing what you do over here though- one of my favorite blogs!

Lisa McKay October 5, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Congrats Alexis, that’s great news. What a thrill, to find a job that slots so neatly with your current passions!! All the best with the move.
Lisa McKay recently posted…Commercial Break from CambodiaMy Profile

Heather Rae October 6, 2010 at 12:20 am

Congratulations, Lexi! That is super exciting news. I’m so happy for you and think it’s awesome that you found a job that is such a good fit for you (not to mention, it’s fantastic that your blogging actually helped you score the position). Awesome! :)
Heather Rae recently posted…Seeking- Ah-Mazing Writing CourseMy Profile

Emily October 6, 2010 at 9:58 am

YIPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Emily recently posted…Do not spend two hours of your Sunday this wayMy Profile

Staci October 6, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Congratulations, Alexis–this is very exciting news! I love the job hunting industry–it was hard for me to leave it and perhaps someday I will return to it. Best of luck to you! I’m sure you will do a fantastic job!
Staci recently posted…Montessori Animal Kindgom TaxonomyMy Profile

Lola October 6, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Congratulations Alexis! This is sweet news indeed.

alisha October 10, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Congrats! You’ll be great at this job!

Simone Gorrindo October 14, 2010 at 11:30 am

FANTASTIC! Good things come to those who keep working their butts off. I can’t tell you how happy this post made me. I let out a little gasp the moment I started reading it.

Good luck, Lexi. This position sounds amazing!

Leslie Forman October 27, 2010 at 12:20 am

Congratulations! This sounds like an awesome job, and D.C. is a fun city. It also sounds like your timing worked out so well. Yay!
-a longtime lurker